Are you caught in an endless loop of mental and physical exhaustion? It’s like you wake up tired, you continue through your day without even a semblance of energy, and you go to bed absolutely drained after yet another day of chronic fatigue.
We’ve been there, we’ve done that, and we’ve since healed — and you can too!
If you’re feeling like you’ve suffered with chronic fatigue long enough or you’ve considered the idea of healing chronic fatigue naturally, then you’re in the right place! In this blog, we’ll dive deep into chronic fatigue and discuss our naturopathic approach to healing. Let’s begin!
Chronic Fatigue: What is it? And what causes it?
By basic definition, chronic fatigue is a condition ‘characterized by profound fatigue, sleep abnormalities, pain, and other symptoms that are made worse by exertion.’ More than just general tiredness, chronic fatigue lasts for at least 6 months and presents symptoms that only worsen with physical or mental activity, but fail to improve with rest.
Pinpointing exactly what causes chronic fatigue is a bit of a gray area; after all, chronic fatigue can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Genetics: Chronic fatigue can be inherited in some families. If somebody in your family experiences chronic fatigue, chances are that you have a higher likelihood of developing the disorder. Think inherited generational trauma!
- Infections: Viral or bacterial infections can trigger chronic fatigue in some individuals, even after symptoms from the infection subside. This is a big one often missed by so many practitioners. I see this alot with CMV, HHV-6, EBV for ie. Also very prominent in those who have Lyme disease.
- Insufficient Bodily Function: Chronic fatigue can surface in people whose bodies struggle to convert fuel, such as fats and sugars, into energy. But, we must figure out the WHY!
- Endocrine imbalance: Thyroid and hormonal balance play a huge role in our energy and metabolism
- Toxins: Being exposed to a variety of environmental toxins can compromise our liver and cause an imbalance in our organ systems. These include heavy metals, mycotoxins, dental toxins and more.
- Chronic Stress: Stress that is on-going can take a toll on our adrenal glands, affecting our hormones, immune system, mental health and leading to chronic fatigue.
- Trauma: And finally, some patients can experience chronic fatigue as yet another side effect of emotional or physical trauma. So many people worldwide suppress their emotional trauma, only for it to rear its ugly head and manifest physically.
Despite the initial cause, it’s highly encouraged to be either proactive and reactive (especially in the case of infections, insufficient bodily function, or trauma) and seek naturopathic treatment before chronic fatigue has a chance to affect all aspects of your daily life.
Chronic Fatigue is Not Just ‘Feeling Tired’
It’s especially important to emphasize the distinction between ‘feeling tired’ and diagnosable chronic fatigue. While some individuals may feel tired on a regular basis, the cause of that tiredness is often resolved with sufficient rest.
Chronic fatigue, however, impacts day-to-day life on a long-term basis, and unfortunately cannot be resolved by any amount of rest. A patient plagued with chronic fatigue can fall into a deep sleep every night and still wake up completely and utterly exhausted. But that’s not all — chronic fatigue impacts every aspect of a person’s life: mental, physical, emotional, and even physiological.
Chronic fatigue is not just the result of staying up too late from binge watching the newest show or ditching rest and relaxation in favor of fun over the weekend. Chronic fatigue is cause for concern, with symptoms rooted in hormonal imbalances, infection, diagnosable sleep disorders, mental health issues, and a number of other very real conditions. However, that’s not to say it can’t be healed.
Supplements & Natural Remedies for Chronic Fatigue
A naturopathic approach to chronic fatigue prioritizes natural chronic fatigue remedies over prescription medications. If we follow nature’s laws and the philosophy of Naturopathic Medicine, if we find the root cause of WHY you are experiencing this, we can focus symptom relief and various tactics to help patients cope as we work on healing whatever in fact caused them to experience such fatigue.
Naturopathic chronic fatigue remedies include a curated collection of supplements for a holistic approach to chronic fatigue.
If you want to start supporting your body right away, consider starting on a methylated B complex vitamin.
B vitamins, for example, are an excellent addition to any supplement routine, but especially for those experiencing chronic fatigue because they aid in the process of converting food into energy. They also are precursors to our neurotransmitters, co-factors to hormonal pathways and also help combat stress.
Our b-complex protocols are among the best in the industry; however, we’d suggest ideally consulting with one of our Naturopathic Doctors before including any new supplements into your daily routine, and to find the supplements that best support your individual symptoms of chronic fatigue.
In the end, chronic fatigue does not have to control your life. It’s time to take charge, because if not now, when? Book a 10 minute consultation with one of our experts — completely free!